Sunday, September 8, 2013

Princess conversation!

Oh, did I ever tell you that I have the PERFECT job for me?? Yep that's right, I think the only other profession I could be in would be professional traveler. Even then, I would not get to have Disney conversations on a regular basis. Today (Friday September 6) in Kindergarten I overheard and then got to be part of the most fun conversation. It was at the end of the day and my students were working on a project about being "Unique." Some little girls started to talk about their favorite princesses and why they loved them.

This is a little of what I overheard:
"I like Ariel because she has fins."
"I love Sleeping Beauty because she sings pretty."
"Belle is my favorite because she likes to read and I love books."
"Tinkerbell is my favorite because she flies and makes others fly."
"Tinkerbell isn't a princess! She's a fairy."
"Oh, then, I think Tiana is my favorite because she cooks good."

I was in heaven! It also got me thinking, who is my favorite princess? I mean, you have the classic - Cinderella and then you have the more modern Rapunzel! So, here are my Top 10 Disney Princesses (all of whom I love to get pictures with when traveling to Disney!)

First, the honorable mention (non-princess)
Wendy - Although she is not a princess she does help Peter Pan and the Lost Boys. She is the voice of reason and makes the Lost Boys go to bed!

Now, the WORST princess would have to be Snow White! I mean, she is hated because she is the fairest of them all... but her singing voice is shrill and she eats apples from strangers. Now, I do like that she sings into a wishing well and poof! appears a charming prince! Ok, maybe I am just jealous of this animated character... Still, she is at the bottom of the list.
Now the Top 10! 

10. Mulan - Although I don't consider her a princess, she did save China from the Huns. She saw that her father was physically unable to protect the country so she cut her hair and posed as a man. In the process, she saved a handsome member of the army and risked her life to save the Emperor. I would say she is pretty awesome. Also, she tried her best to impress the matchmaker and they wanted her to change. She is a good role-model to show young girls that if you stay true to yourself you win in the end. 
9. Merida- I saw this movie a week after my mom passed away. I am a lot like Merida in a way because I fought with my mom and didn't really understand her and why she would make me dress a certain way. It was all for my own good. She was teaching me to respect myself. Merida's mom only wants the best for her but Merida turns her into a BEAR! Ah! I still really like this movie although it was reminiscent of Brother Bear... 

8. Pocahontas - "You can own the Earth and still, all you'll own is earth until you can paint with all the colors of the wind." Disney took some creative spin with this story and added a love triangle! Of course Disney would have you rooting for John Smith and Pocahontas (even though the tribe gets small pox from the english men). I love the music and how Pocahontas follows her own path!
7. Tiana - A true southern girl! New Orleans is her home and she has worked for everything she has ever wanted. Then, poof! she kisses a frog prince and turns into a frog. That just shows you, who needs a "prince" in life? In the end, she does become a princess and gets everything she has wanted. I think I also love Tiana because I had a great Character "meet and greet" at Disney... one of the best memories from 2011 in Disney! 

6. Jasmine - I love Jasmine because she wants to marry for love and not for money... that said... she is kinda stupid. I mean, you live in a palace and you can have everything you want. Aladdin even changes to a prince so that he can be with you and you are still complaining. But, Aladdin is in my top 5 Disney Movies and Jasmine is part of that movie.
5. Belle - What is better than reading books? So nice to see a princess who grew up respecting who she is and loving her family. I'm so happy she met a Beast and helped change who he is for the better. Kill em with kindness! 


4. Sleeping Beauty - She has been one of my favorite princesses since I was a little girl. I always wanted my hair like hers and to be able to sing like her. And who wouldn't want a dress that can go from pink to blue and back again! 

3. Cinderella - The original Princess! Her story is so sad... her mom dies, her dad remarries, and then her dad dies. Her horrible step-mother makes her a slave and then when she does all her chores and gets a beautiful dress her step-sisters tear it to shreds. Of course, she wins in the end because most Disney movies end happily ever after. I love visiting "her" kingdom! 


2. Rapunzel - The newest of the Disney princesses! I don't have much to say except that she is a pretty cool princess. 

And my favorite princess would be: 

1. Ariel - She is the princess of 2 worlds. How much cooler is that? She also has the best hair - perfect under water and on land. 




















Thanks for reading about my Disney geekness! Follow up blogs to come throughout the year: Top 10 - Princes, Villains, Disney Songs, Disney Movies...

Who are your favorite princesses? Leave me a comment or comment on Facebook!

1 comment:

  1. I love princesses!!! When I was little, Belle was my favorite. I wanted my hair to look just like hers (difficult, since I had white blond hair).
    Then, in high school, Sleeping Beauty was my fav, and now Rapunzel is at the top of my list! When do we hear about the princes? ;-) -Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete