Saturday, July 13, 2013

A Tale of Two Capitols

I can't believe we are already on day 7 of our road trip. It is going by too fast. I need to remember that we have a lot to see but I need to soak it all in and really appreciate everything. 

We left Rapid City for our 3 hour drive to Pierre. We saw a lot of farms on our journey today. It is not an interstate ride to the capitol. We have been driving on 2 lane highways for most of our day. I am now getting better at passing cars who are going too slow. 

We arrived in Pierre around 1:00. We drove into Central Time right before getting to the capitol. 

Pierre is officially my 17th capitol building. As we were driving in today I just kept thinking that I wish my mom was with me to see the 2 buildings I was going to see today. It gave me comfort to know that she is with me in some way. I am so blessed to have my friend Celeste with me on this journey to see the capitols. It has been a long driving day but I thank God that I have a friend who will spend 7 hours in a car with me to get to these buildings. Here are some of the beautiful pictures of this gorgeous day.






After walking around a little bit (it was really humid and I chose to wear sandals today) we went searching for a Starbucks. Surely there would be a Starbucks in the capital city of South Dakota! To our dismay there was no Starbucks :( So, we found a gas station and bought some bottled Frappachinos. We made a picnic lunch and ate in the car as we headed for Bismarck, ND.

Let me tell you; the drive from Pierre to Bismarck is not very exciting. There is a bunch of farm land and hay bales. Luckily, I had finished my "Broadway Favorites" playlist so I was singing and entertained all the way to Bismarck.

We arrived in Bismarck and headed straight to the capitol! Number 18 is officially photographed! Look at how beautiful this place is!



So... I left the keys in the grass while we moved to a shady place... then I forgot where I left the keys. It was time to channel our Easter Egg hunting skills to find the keys! Luckily, Celeste has a great eye and found them! Crisis adverted!

Celeste went for a run around the capitol while I took selfies. It was such a beautiful day!


After the capitol we checked into our hotel: The Ramada Inn. It is an OK hotel. The rooms are nice but there are no elevators. It took us 3 trips to bring all our things upstairs. Tomorrow we get to take them all down the stairs. Oh well, at least we got our exercise in.

We then ate at the local Red Lobster because we had gift cards! Yippee!

Also, congratulations to these winners this week for our "Where in the World is Michelle" game on Facebook where you will receive a postcard from me! Keep playing!
Day 1: Rachel - Liberal, KS
Day 2: Krista - Chalk Pyramids/ Monument Rocks
Day 3: Tyler - Hammonds Candy Factory
Day 4: Rachel - Cheyenne, WY
Day 5: Rachel - Custer State Park
Day 6: Jill - Badlands National Park
Day 7: Christina M. - North Dakota Capitol

Thanks for reading!

Follow Celeste's blog! She is running everywhere! http://34justme.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment