Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Welcome to the Wild Wild West

Day 4 - We made it to the wild wild west. If you are ever going to experience what it felt like to live in the western days make sure you make it to Colorado, Wyoming, and South Dakota. It is so different up here than it is in Texas. First, the stats - 
States: 6 - (Wyoming and South Dakota are new) 
Capitols: 2!  WY and SD
Books read:Still working on HP 1 
License Plates Found: 33 + 5 = 38!  (Kentucky, OR, AL, Mass, and LA for today)
Crunches/Squats: Day of Rest

Our day started with loading the car. Let me tell you, we are not traveling light. It took only 2 trips with our stuff, but it is a lot. I think that we got it down how to pack the car! We are getting into a routine. I mean, we still have 16 days left with all our stuff so we are going to be expert car packers! 

We then left for our first destination - the Denver Capitol! Yes, we are finally getting to a capitol. I can't complain because I have had soooo much fun the past 3 days but I am loving me some capitols. You can sit/stand on a step a mile above sea level. It faces the Denver Mint if you are looking for it. 



A wonderful woman from El Paso took our picture. Gotta love us some Texans!

As you can see, the dome is being worked on. It was still a gorgeous day and the capitol did not disappoint.


After a stop at the capitol we left to find a... STARBUCKS! We found one and got our caffein fix for the day. 

We then made our way to Wyoming. It is about an hour and a half drive from Denver to Cheyenne. We stopped at the welcome sign to get our picture. We almost blew past it but safely got over just in time. As you can see, another car did the same thing! 


We stopped at Wyoming's new welcome center. It was FANTASTIC! Look at all the cool stuff they had in there. I definitely would come back some day.





After some fun at the welcome center we made it to Cheyenne. The weather was amazing! This is capitol number 16 for me! You can see much of their history from just the outside of the building. There were Native Americans, Buffalo, a cowboy, and some pioneer women. What a rich history!




I LOVED downtown Cheyenne! It reminded me of the Lone Ranger movie. The speed limit was 25 and I could just imagine horses and cowboys. There are decorated cowboy boots all around the town. We took some pictures with them (all on my phone and I can't figure out how to get them from my phone to this blog).

We also found true north!

After a short trip to Cheyenne it was time to get back in the car to head to Rapid City, South Dakota. We had about a 5 hour drive ahead of us on highways (not interstates). Look what was ahead of us! RAIN! I was the passenger at this point so I took many pictures of the land and sky. It took my breath away! You could see for miles and it was so different.

I was imagining that game: The Oregon Trail that I used to play as a kid.

There was no one on the road with us...

So, what always comes with rain clouds?

RAINBOWS! So, we saw this rainbow and I freaked out (and so did Celeste). My initial quote was "It's like it's glowing"! I know, stupid eh! But, I was trying to snap pictures with cameras and phones and I mean, it is glowing...



To get the best pictures we needed to stop the car. Where did we pull over? Oh, we didn't.
Me: "Are you safely pulled over?"
Celeste: "There's no one on the road!"
Me: "oh"

Double Rainbow!!!!!

I'm getting rained on so I made this face!

Well, after the excitement of the double rainbow we got the afternoon blues.
Celeste: "I don't know how I'm ever going to get through the middle of the day hump."
Me: Do you think it is pie time?
Celeste: "Oh yes!"

We had bought pie at Village Inn before we left Castle Rock. (Thanks Melissa for putting the idea in our heads about pie!) Mine was Peanut Butter goodness. Celeste had Chocolate. It really helped us in our middle of the day hump.

We are also enjoying our game on Facebook: Where in the world are Michelle and Celeste. We each get a winner for the day and we will send a postcard from the state we are in. We needed a post office in Wyoming so we asked Siri to help us! In Manville, WY (population 97) we found their post office. What an adventure!


Almost to South Dakota!

We made it to South Dakota!!!!

Thanks for reading! Check back tomorrow!

Celeste has a blog too! Check it out! http://34justme.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment