Wednesday, July 24, 2013

I've Been Everywhere Man!

Day 18

States Traveled Through: Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Maryland, and West Virginia! 17 total so far!! Almost through with our 20 :) 

Capitols: Denver, Cheyenne, Pierre, Bismarck, St. Paul, Madison, Lansing, Indianapolis, Columbus, Harrisburg, and Charleston. That would be 11 total this trip! 

Have you heard that Johnny Cash Song: I've Been Everywhere? Well, that is in our heads! I feel like I need to write my own version of the song just for this trip! 

Today we started in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. We stayed at a Quality Inn... part of the horrible Choice Hotel brand. I'm sure you all remember 2 years ago when the Choice Hotels gave away our PRE-PAID room and pretty much left us stranded in Florida. Were we compensated? Well... if you consider giving us our money back compensated. OK, enough of that. Moving on... We left right away this morning and headed over to: 

Chocolate World in Hershey, Pennsylvania!!!!! Chocolate makes everything better!!! The place did not open until 9:00 so we made sure to get there right away for the opening. While waiting for the magical place to open we snapped pictures. Those little characters are just so cute! 



When they finally opened we headed for the FREE tour to find out how the chocolate bars are made. It was a ride! It was interesting. We then met Hershey Bar himself! I can't pass up an opportunity to take a picture with a character. It is the closest I am getting to Disney World for awhile! Look how happy he is!

After buying some merchandise we saw the 4D chocolate movie. We had to help the chocolate ambassadors figure out who was messing with the chocolate factory after the plant closed. It was a really cute movie. It was also interactive. If you have been to Disney World and have seen Turtle Talk with Crush or Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor you can imagine how the chocolate bars interacted with us during the movie. It was pretty cool.


After the movie I got to meet Reese! He was just so cute. I love Peanut Butter and Chocolate!

After our time in Chocolate World we explored the city and looked for a post office to mail our post cards. Look at the lights!


After making a wrong turn we happened upon an Elementary School. Umm... wouldn't it be cool to work at Hershey Elementary?? Don't worry, I'm not leaving my current place of employment any time soon.

After our fun in Hershey it was time to head to West Virginia. We had a capitol to get to. To get there we had to drive through the Appalachian Mountains! It was another beautiful drive. These mountains are very different from the Rocky Mountains that we were at 2 weeks ago! I can't believe how many places we have been!

West Virginia marks a very special capitol building. Today is the day that I am half way through with my challenge. Charleston, West Virginia marks the 25th Capitol for me to visit. Each one has been unique in its own way. This capitol was beautiful. There is a gold dome, an Abraham Lincoln statue in the front, a couple fountains, and it over looks a river. It was very peaceful and quiet near this building. There were so many huge trees surrounding the building. The weather was also perfect! It was a nice 76 degrees here in WV... a lot cooler than Texas (the newspaper said it was 102 today!) 



 My Buddy :) 



Once we were done with the capitol we headed to our hotel. We asked for a restaurant recommendation and the lady told us about this Mexican place about a block away. Her selling point was that it has the best Margaritas in town. Sign me up! We walked the block to the restaurant and got in right away. It was OK Mexican food. The Margaritas (I had a Peach one) were the best part of the menu... I'll take Tex-Mex over what I ate tonight. It was good that we tried it. 



Our day was mostly in the car so that is all we did! Off to bed now. Another busy day ahead of us and there is much to see in America still. 

Thanks for reading and sharing the journey with me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment