Friday, July 12, 2013

I'm Proud to Be An American

Day 6 - Today was another day in South Dakota. This is a beautiful state with so much to do. We had to cram a lot into 2 full days. I would come back to this beautiful state for another vacation in the future. If you love the outdoors (or you love the thought of the outdoors) you should visit South Dakota. If you do, try to stay in the little town of Keystone. I'm going to stay there the next time I come here. It looks like one of those old western towns. 

First the Stats for the day: 

States: 6 - No new ones 
Capitols: None today
Books read: no time to read books 
License Plates Found: 42 + 1= 43!  (Mississippi)
Crunches/Squats: 50

Our day started with another breakfast at the Days Inn. The biscuits and gravy tasted delicious. 

We then headed out for Badlands National Park. This was about an hour and a half away from Rapid City. It was a really windy day today here in SD. I had to put my hair up super fast after getting out of the car. Badlands National Park is considered a "Badland" because of the lack of water. It reminded me of a desert with large structures. It also looked like a mini Grand Canyon. We ventured out to look at the land. We did a easy/moderate hike to get a better view of the Badlands. Here are some pictures we captured! 


Yep, I'm hiking! 



On the edge of the cliff

This is called "The Window" and you can see out to many structures. 

Look at that sky! 



A different view of the Badlands. You can see some grass and other rock formations.


This was one of the best areas! Look at the beautiful colors!

It was so beautiful! The guy taking our picture told us we couldn't wear our sunglasses for a picture... ok... you get squinty eyes.

After exploring the Badlands we headed to Wall Drug. EVERYONE who has been to the area told me to check out Wall Drug. It was pretty cool. We ate some yummy chicken/fries/onion rings. We got our FREE ice water and took some pictures. It is worth the stop. 





For $0.50 you could hear Dr. FeelGood tell you about his new cologne. He was a little creepy looking!

I got to be an Indian Chief!

AND, I got to be Pocahontas!

My new favorite animal - The Buffalo!

Free Ice Water

OK. If you read my blog yesterday you will know that I really wanted these magnets of the United States. Well, I found the same magnets but they were 1/2 the price then at Mount Rushmore. I thought about it and walked around and ended up getting them. I had a Visa gift card from one of my students and it paid for the magnets! I am sooo grateful to that amazing family who gave me that gift. I also got a FREE bag because I spent over $50. I'm so excited about that purchase. I can't wait to put up the capitols I have been to on my refrigerator and keep the rest off until I get to more capitols.

So, my dad's favorite movie is North by Northwest and my mom loved National Treasure. Guess what! Both were filmed in the area! This was a great sign that I had to take a picture with.

The last thing we did today in South Dakota was watch the lighting ceremony for Mount Rushmore. Talk about an inspiring ceremony. I am still a little emotional about it and can't find the appropriate words to describe it. There is a video you watch that talks about each of the presidents that are sculpted on the mountain. Then the best part comes. They invite service men and women to come down for the lowering of the flag. It made me appreciate America even more. These men and women fought for our freedom. I don't know if any other country honors their military the way we do but I am so thankful to call the United States of America my home.
 

  
Why these 4 presidents? Here is what they have to say.
George Washington: "Birth" First President
Thomas Jefferson: "Expansion" Louisiana Purchase
Theodore Roosevelt: "Development" Panama Canal, Trust Buster, and National Parks
Abraham Lincoln: "Preservation" Saved the Union during the Civil War



I'm sad to leave this beautiful place but I am looking forward to our next adventure. I hope you will play our "Where in the World" postcard game tomorrow.

Follow Celeste's blog! She is running as much as possible in as many states as possible!  http://34justme.blogspot.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment